Monday, May 9, 2011

Mmm-my Nostalgia...

Pages from a book I created for my (first ever) silkscreen printmaking (and bookmaking) course. Taught by David Sandlin, a gifted silk screen printmaker, bookmaker, and instructor. Was nice to break away from the animation and the humanities for a bit.. But I was completely out of my element - which turned out to be interesting, and eye-opening..Clueless about this art form, I, now, have tremendous respect for ALL printmakers! I found silkscreen a skill hard to assess even several weeks into the semester.. (Especially, since I injured my drawing hand prior to this course..) Silkscreen and traditional animation have much in common. Still, I think animating a film is much easier than printmaking. The bang for your buck is profoundly bigger.. Here, some of the prints didn't turn out perfect (in the printmaking-sense).. But overall, I'm pleased with my first silkscreen book...
Printed on Rives BFK tinted paper, this 9"x6" book presents some of my favorite Indian snacks.. I chose to draw and print this theme for personal, nostalgic reasons.. I've been away from home for almost 5 years now.. True, many of these items are available here in the U.S, but it's not the same.. Snacking with my loved ones on the energetic, vibrant, crowded, and more or less polluted roadsides and streets of India is one of the things I miss the most about home.. Hmmm..
These nation-wide, dime-a-dozen but individualized snack-carts expose the enthusiast to many sensory delights.. Explosive flavor combinations - hot or cold, sweet or tangy, spicy or mild, deep fried or not, soft or crunchy.. Surrounded by festivities, colors, sights, smells, and sounds.. The fleeting company of chatty strangers and noisy families huddled around you to devour these 'bandi' treats, only adds to the entire snacking experience..For us Indians, creating and sampling affordable, tasty snacks is a cherished past-time.. A tasty custom we are devoted to and proud of :-p

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is so awesome!!
    I have never seen something like these before .. the ganna juice, paniputi, bandi etc are so so kewl.. wish I could buy a T with this printed on it... Shaan

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! especially for having never done silkscreening before. i did some in high school, but never that elaborate.

    ps, i saw you started following my blog, so I added a link to yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of u maa.I can't belive ke ek choti se pyari se ladki me itna hunar Allah talah de sakta hai yakeen nahi hota....meri duian hamesh tere, teri shouhar ke saath hai.....teri maa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm feeling really hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete