Monday, August 1, 2011

Meet Dechen

I've been busy story boarding and developing elements of my thesis film for the last 6 weeks.. Whew.. Still can't believe I'm a senior now.. Anyway.. My film will be traditionally animated on paper and is due April, 2012..

It's about a young Buddhist monk who learns that despite his care and nurturing, an extraordinary flower finds a harsh and frigid environment better suited for its existence.. The story takes place in a Buddhist monastery up in the mountains of Leh, Ladakh (situated East of Jammu-Kashmir state of India), and centers around a young boy, Dechen and his surprise discovery, an exotic, high-altitude flower..


Spent my entire junior year at reading, researching and collecting material for my film. I've had the idea for my film for some time now. Chose to give it a shot for many reasons - color palettes, time of day, different seasons, special effects, exotic layouts and sounds, and finally, a simple story (that stems from my own personality and experiences). Yeah, I've given myself a continent-load of nuances to think about - and work on..!! But I'm basically just trying to challenge - and 'wow' - myself.. After completing 3 student films at SVA, I wanted to go all out (before I graduate and take off).. Oh, and never mind that my inflamed drawing hand is STILL not back to normal - the ONLY thing about senior year that scares me.. Let's see by the end of all this if I crash and burn, or soar..


So far, the meetings with my advisor, Don Poynter, have been going well.. He's liking what I've been showing him, which is a good sign.. Will keep all of you posted on the progress... Oh, and the title for the film is still up in the air..

1 comment:

  1. I love that boy's character design and those enviro sketches. Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with all this : D

    ReplyDelete