Sunday, December 11, 2011

Simple Approach to Thesis Layouts

Busy animating and compositing for my Thesis, DECHEN. Spring semester will involve mostly coloring / inking the characters in Photoshop. BGs will be a combo of mixed media - color pencils, pastels, watercolor and oils... So, here's a step-by-step of how I'm approaching my Thesis BGs. Nothing fancy here. Pretty simple stuff...

I originally drew and colored (see very above) with color pencils on paper. All done in separate layers, e.g. overlay, background, underlay, clouds all on separate sheets of paper for the purpose of being animated in After Effects...

After scanning, in Photoshop, I put the layers over an oil-on-canvas color card (actual ochre oil wash). I want a light, canvas-gritty feel to the BGs of my film... Note, I did not merge the layers...

I further played around with the modes and transparencies. Finally, animated the layers on separate levels in After Effects, e.g. sunrise happening (Color Balance), and clouds drifting off (Lens Blur). This BG 01 will cross-dissolve into BG 02, the establishing shot of Dechen's monastery. Ta-da...

No comments:

Post a Comment